Old 12-06-2007, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Problems with melons - please help urgently if possible please.

"Des Higgins" wrote after "Keith (Dorset)" asked

Once again ths year I am getting quite a few of my tiny melons
(Cantaloupe), turning yellow and 'dying off at a very early stage - when
they are about the size of a de-podded French bean.

Let me start by saying I do not know the answer but seeing as no one else
answered I will volunteer a shot in the dark.
It is possible that these are unfertilised. The reason I say this is
because that seems to happen pumpkins which are related.
??

I would also say it's because of lack of fertilization of the flowers,
typical of cucurbits, and especially early in the season. When a female
flower is open then break off a male flower, remove the petals, and transfer
the pollen.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden