Old 13-06-2007, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Alan is offline

Default Petrol lawn mower - auto cut out

In message om, Paul
wrote
I'm thinking of buying a petrol mower & don't really want to pay more
than £300.

Am I right in thinking that without the "roto-stop" or "auto-brake"
feature (which only seems to appear on models of £450+) then whenever
I stop to empty the grass box the engine will need re-starting?

Yes it will need a restart but as the engine will be hot and you've only
left it for a minute it will be very easy to start again. On my cheap
mower just the hint of turning the hot motor with the pull cord gets it
started again.

If you are emptying the grass box you may want to stop the motor anyway
for safety reasons. With a spinning blade machine, if you let the grass
box get too full the cuttings start to build up in blade housing. That's
not somewhere I would want to go with a motor that was still spinning,
irrespective of any safety feature that the manufacturer has fitted.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com