Old 30-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Macy

Default Tomatoes to Stake or to Cage

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:11:12 GMT, Bob W
wrote:

On 24 Mar 2003 17:15:34 -0800, (cab97)
wrote:

Hi all, last year i caged my tomatoes with not much success. any
other ideas to prevent plants from falling over. How do you stake
them? Thanks for your help.

I use 8 Foot wooden long "furring strips" (8 foot by about 2 inch
wide) available at Home Depot for about $1 a piece in the lumber
section. They are cheaper than the short 5 foot tomato stakes they
sell. Also the furring strips are not pressure treated with arsenic
like the tomato stakes. I am reusing the same ones for the 4th year.
They last pretty well, they are strong and cheap.

Can you please explain the "furring strips"? Have never seen them in
HD or Lowes.

Thanks