Old 13-06-2007, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner William Wagner is offline

Default Tree bark problems (deer, sun, ???)

In article ,
wrote:

up here in the frozen tundra the sun makes one side of a dark barked
tree very hot and the other side in the shade can be below zero and
the difference will make the bark split. different expansion rates.
Ingrid

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:10:11 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

wrote in news:466eb35f$0$1351
:

I spray paint the trunks of my trees with white latex (the fruit trees
anyway). this reflects the sun in winter.

Why do you want to reflect the sun in winter?

We used to wrap our young tree's with a white plastic wrap 1/8 inch
thick. Made of stiff plastic and it had one inch holes about. Designed
to keep off rodents and heat stress. I do not know if it is still
available. Was sort of like PVC pipe 2 inch diameter. Curved so you
could snap it on or off.

Local folks raising trees professionally paint with white latex about
here.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade