Old 13-06-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
©anadian Ponder[_2_] ©anadian Ponder[_2_] is offline

Default Mosquito Larvae

Davy wrote:
I have been advised that I need some fish in my deliberately fishless
wildlife pond to control the mosquitoes. My neighbour has offered
sticklebacks. But now, probably because of the lack of fish, I have very
large numbers diving beetles and water boatmen on the surface - which I
would guess would eat any larvae.

I would rather not have fish cos I don't want have to have pumps and filters
etc. Anyone any experience of how well my predatory insects might control
mosquitoes?

thanks

Davy

I assume you have plants in the pond so chlorine or bromine are out of
the question.

Mosquitos won't lay eggs in moving water so lots of pumps for waterfalls
and spitters and sprinklers will do.