Old 14-06-2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default OT - killing wild animals (Out of Africa)

Nick Cramer wrote:

But, Ron, this is not a "fully" open forum, it's a moderated pond group.
While I wholeheartedly approve of postings relating to the other activities
of ponders, I, too, think that after a few exchanges, it's better if it go
offline, which is what I've now done.

I considered responding privately to this to both Jim and yourself, but
have decided that I will add to what you say publically. Yes, it is
interesting to hear about others off-topic experiences but it becomes
difficult when it is an emotive subject such as this. Yes, it is a
moderated group, but IMO this should not stiffle the other stuff and the
general chattiness and friendships that are all part of any internet
group....but also IMO certain things should get taken off-line if it
appears to upset some members of a group.....and it is not always the
majority who are either vocal in discussing positively or those that
choose to hold their own counsel that matter.....if anyone is truly
offended and upset and vocalises this then you can bet there are umpteen
others that do not wish to post their opinions.....

With respect to off-topic posts I have always maintained right from the
start before I had any involvement in the formation of rpm that they can
be healthy for the community spirit of a group and in fact actually make
the difference between a very clinical group or one that people want to
join and participate in - it is to be hoped and my personal belief that
this is very much how we all want this group to develop.......but I also
believe that it is relevant and appropriate to listen to all members of
the group and respect their feelings and wishes.....IMO this topic
should now be discussed away from rpm by those interested.......and I
will confess to not be one of them.....Now some pics of the beasts
running free in their natural habitat - great.....

Gill
Speaking entirely for herself and not on behalf of the RPM moderation
team in the slightest