Old 30-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Garden that floods

"Kay :
..
I'm not sure if any land plants will survive being totally underwater
for a couple of weeks :-(

I think some of the boggy ones might - I'm basing this on some of the
plants that are used for fish tanks, which are actually bog plants but
which are grown totally underwater permanently.

Yes, some have both an emersed and immersed form that are quite different
and change from one to the other as the water rises and falls. Water
wisteria (Synnema triflorum) is a typical one, small grey leaves on land,
light green and rather fern like underwater.

The two I can think of which might be worth trying are mimulus and the
marsh geum - mine has certainly flourished with being under 18inches of
water for several days at a time - not the same as 4 ft for weeks,
though!

Thanks, the more plants to try the merrier.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.