Old 14-06-2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jon Shemitz Jon Shemitz is offline

Default Bhut jolokia pepper seeds

I was curious if i should buy these seeds from a local grower since
the seeds would come from plants already growing in my climate and
may be more acclimatized than buying them overseas with a different
climate. I'm in Southern Calif. I think its too late to plant them now
so will have to wait until next year.

My guess would be that acclimatization is mostly a matter of
probabilities, that the local seeds differ from the overseas seeds in
gene expression frequencies, and that a batch of overseas seeds would
have all the options that the local seeds do ... and maybe more. That
is, odds are that normal genetic variation within a batch of seeds
from a different climate will yield a set of plants adapted to your
climate, and your plants may actually have some genes that have been
lost within the local gene pool.

--

..NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers
www.midnightbeach.com/.net