Old 14-06-2007, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Mulch that may have a fungus

On Jun 14, 7:35?am, "Mike S." wrote:
My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. Could it be some sort of fungus?

I bought it and opened it last year. I stored the mulch in it's
original bag and then placed that bag in a trash bag and tied it up.
I've kept the bag in my spare room since I got it last year.

If the mulch has a fungus, wouldn't it be bad to use on plants such as
tomatoes and peppers? I'm growing tomatoes and peppers in large pots
and was going to use this mulch in the pots. I'm worried about the
fungus infecting these plants.

It's hardly possible to protect anything from fungus, fungal spores
are wafting everywhere and are extremely resiliant. I don''t even
want to discus why you're storing mulch in your "room"(do you have a
mulch fetish), but living healthy plants are for the most part immune
from fungal damage (or there'd be no plants), and when plants do
develop fungus there are treatments readily available, but they would
have developed a fungus regardless of mulching, more often it's from
improper/over watering and inadequate sunlight.