Old 14-06-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Garden and Lawn Tip

bkkfal wrote:
Just a simple tip I want to share. I always used to have problems
with fungus disease problems with my grass and didn't know why. I
used to water my grass at night time, however I learned that watering
at night is bad for your grass. You need to be aware that watering
encourages brown patch and other fungus diseases. It is strongly
recommended that watering the lawn be carried out between 5 and 8
A.M.

Sounds like your soil has poor drainage and perhaps areas of standing
water... probably best to amend your soil to make it lighter and
perform mechanical aeration regularly.

When to water lawn grass is highly dependant on soil type and degree
of rainfall. Some of the finast lawns on the planet grow on Long
Island, NY. The soil is sandy and well drained. Automatic lawn
irrigation is very popular there and is typically run early every
morning, but during dry spells is run again at dusk. Most irrigation
systems incorporate an electronic rain detector that shuts down the
system during periods of rain. Watering lawns in sunlight is of
course a total waste of water, grass roots do not take in water during
periods of direct sunlight .