Old 14-06-2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pebblesrockred pebblesrockred is offline

Default Garlic flowers

Compo wrote:
Hi,

My garlic plants are beginning to flower. I seem to recall reading
somewhere that this does not matter. Do I need to remove the flowers
or do I leave them on the plants?

Cheers,
Compo.

Hi Comp

We have grown garlic for over 30 years. And yes you do need to remove the
flowers before they bloom. We call this popping tops. If you leave the
flowers they will suck all of the garlic juices. If you pop the tops before
they open all of the juices go to the bulb and therefore you make a bigger
and better tasting garlic bulb. What kind of garlic do you plant?

Love to hear from you.
pebblesrockred