Old 14-06-2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default SRM Mulch

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article . com,
Sheldon wrote:

........... up here in zone 5 mulch is used to keep the soil cool.

You not but a few hours ago claimed you reside on the Alaskan
tundra... and grow fruit trees there.

Sheldon, what chew smokin' boy? The good doctor said," Up here in the
frozen tundra". Sheldon, get a grip. But don't worry, when the sun comes
up in the west tomorrow, everything will be alright.

tomatoes are never mulched until the soil temp is high enough that it
wont impede growth. and mulches are used to moderate soil temp,
including keeping the soil cold under fruit trees in spring so they
wont blossom out to soon. Ingrid

It's scientifically impossible for mulch to cool soil, mulch (any
mulch) can only act to warm soil. Mulch absorbs radiant energy from
the sun, transfers heat energy directly to the soil, and insulates to
retain heat... when soil temperatures become too warm then it's best
to remove mulch and/or shade the area from direct sunlight with some
sort of suspended light diffuser, such as opaque plastic sheeting that
permits lots of aeration. Mulch does not add shade... any mulch
suspended above the soil is no longer mulch, then it becomes a
parasol. I've now concluded that you are not any kind of dr., perhaps
of bs.

Well, if'in you were using black mulch that would be true. Personally, I
use alphalfa which be more of a light golden hue when it dries out,
don't cha know? Now while it be true that besides suppressing weeds, it
also reduces water 'vaporation, in part by keepin' the soil cool. Damp
ground be dark colored, don't cha know. Dry ground be light colored (at
least it is in my garden) don't cha know. So if'in you leave dark ground
exposed to the Sun, it heats up and the ground loses water (PV=nrT).
In my garden, when the soil heats up, I mulch.

Look on the bright side. Maybe you be good at cards.

- Billy

Hmm. Mr Attention Deficit Disorder didn't answer my question.
He's obviously just a "know nothing sniper who pot-shots but who can't
suggest something better... proves absolutely you know zero".

"I can appreciate humor as well as the next person but unless you along
with your comedy offer a viable alternative than all you are is a know
nothing envious douchebag."

And such poor composition and misspelling too.

- Billy

P.S. You can have your petard back now.