Old 14-06-2007, 10:00 PM posted to austin.gardening
jangchub jangchub is offline

Default Environment

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:50:13 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Speaking of vitex - I have a big one right behind a medium large mimosa
that catch the sun at the end of the day. When flowering, like now, the
colors glow brilliantly and compliment each other quite well. It was
dumb luck on my part planting them in that location but I was running
out of room elsewhere - a theme becoming more common on this group :-(

I was not familiar with Vitex so just googled it. Hardy and a butterfly
attractor? :-) I've been planting Lantana next to Pentas and that combo
seems to attract more flying flowers, but the Pentas need more water
than Lantanas.

I may have to consider some Vitex out front. How big do they get?

I have two, white and 'Carolina Blue' and they are both upwards of
fifteen feet. They can get twenty five feet, easily, in ten years.
They are very large shrubs. Hummingbirds also love them.