Old 15-06-2007, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marcella Peek Marcella Peek is offline

Default Ugh, bugs

We've had four tomatoes from the garden so far. Very exciting as we
usually don't get any until July! The herbs are growing very well. The
problem is the lettuce.

Yesterday I went out and cut some for a salad with dinner. Into the
salad spinner for a soak and YUCK. Thousands upon thousands of little
green bugs. Aphids I suspect. After three soaks and a couple very
thorough rinsings I was still seeing little bugs. Darn things are
everywhere. We had spinach salad instead ;-)

Should I just dig it up and chalk it up to a lesson learned? Any
suggestions for growing lettuce with fewer bugs in the future?

The bugs aren't on anything else in the garden that I could see. But
boy they love that lettuce.

thanks
marcella