Old 14-06-2007, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Beryl Harwood Beryl Harwood is offline

Default Beans

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:55:14 +0100, Beryl Harwood
wrote:

Hi all, my first visit to .gardening.

I have a long trough into which I planted a small number [7 or 8 I
think] of dwarf runner beans. I have protected with chicken wire and
provided a plastic mesh for them to climb when they decide to do so. A
couple of them seem to have started out well, but then faded for no good
reason that I can see. I have kept them watered in the dry spell and
the netting and wire keep the squirrels and birds off as far as I can
see.

Any ideas? Should I pull the faded plants up to prevent possible damage
to the others, most of which, well now only about 4 or 5 appear to be
doing quite well?

If they are dwarf beans, then they will not climb!
The "fading" may be due to overcrowding. Probably best to remove the
sickly ones and give the others a chance.
What size is the trough?
What compost did you use?

And I wouldn't worry about squirrels or birds getting at them they are not
the type of thing that attracts either of those pests, although I shouldn't
really call birds a pest!

No, they just dig around in the compost looking for bugs and worms -
digging up the plants! [well teh squirrels are looking for nuts or seeds
scattered from the feeders]

Beryl