Old 15-06-2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Latham Steve Latham is offline

Default Tomato Varmints

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 14, 3:20 pm, Frank wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:34 pm, "Steve Latham" wrote:

Could be tomato cut
worm:http://www.yourgarden.com/article/ma.../TomatoProblem...
Frank

If you know you have groundhogs, that'd be my guess for your tomato
eater. Those things are pigs. I don't think it's a tomato cutworm
because you're in SE VA and by now, your tomatoes are probably pretty
big. Cutworms go for new transplants. Our garden is fenced and we
still have to hit the groundhogs with BBs.

Yes - they were big enough that I don't think it would be the cut worms (and
that's happened to pepper plants before right after transplant).

So - they get through the fence?

I might have to send the dogs out more frequently.

Do the tomatoes ever get to a size that the GH will stop messing with them,
or will they pretty much eat them anytime.

Thanks,
Steve