Old 15-06-2007, 03:10 PM posted to austin.gardening
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Environment

In article ,
jangchub wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:38:11 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Vines or bushes?

Brugmansia is not a vine, it is a small tree. In the high mountains
of Peru they get 20 feet tall or more, loaded with tons of beautiful
trumpets facing downward.

What vine are you talking about?

I may simply be mistaken.
I saw a picture once (I think Nick posted it) of a lovely vine on a
trellis that looked a lot like Datura. At that time, I'd never heard of
Brugmansias.

That was what he told me it was! :-)

I've grown Moon Vines, but those are related to (and look like) morning
glories except a lot bigger! Those attracted a lot of hummingbird moths
at night.

Big white nocturnal flowers.

Try taking the Vitex to a nursery and do some horse trading?
I used to do that with Lemon Balm. I could probably do it with catnip,
but I end up using too much of it. We have several cats and I give a lot
away to other cat owners since mine is grown with no pesticides.

Yes, I do sell to The Natural Gardener, The Great Outdoors, and Barton
Springs.

Cool.

As easy as plant propagation is, I'm surprised that more of us don't try
to make money off of it.

I need to make a better effort at Air Layering some of my perennial
herbs.

My succulents have been my biggest success. I need to cut buds and pot a
bunch of San Pedro one of these days.

I want to start a collection of Daturas.

I used to collect them. I have D.metel, D.inoxia, D.wrightii out in
the garden now. They need a bit more water than I'd like them to
need, but will wilt during heat of the day and plump up at night. They
wilt on purpose. All nightshades have this ability. They also
re-seed readily.

The white wild ones (aka Jimson weed) used to grow wild in the Mojave
foothills in California where we lived when I was growing up. We were
warned to never try to ingest them. G

It was pretty dry and they did fine. They are built for low water
conditions. It's one of the main reasons that I've considered them for
landscaping.

Those, Lantana and Wandering Jew.

I have planted Mexican oregano. I don't have enough sun any more.

Bummer. The West side of my house gets no shade. The herbs are along
side the driveway there and the bed is about 15 ft. long and maybe 1
inches wide. The Mexican Oregano (now a small bush) is right at the
corner of the house. I need to take current photos of it.

Prune the trees girl! ;-)

You could probably consult with a tree surgeon and see what they have to
say.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.