Old 16-06-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jimnginger jimnginger is offline

Default pruning tomatoes

On Jun 12, 12:24?pm, The Cook wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 02:42:24 GMT, George wrote:
I vaguely recall once reading that cutting the lower (lowest?)
side-shoots of your tomatoes cause something good to happen. True? If
true, is there a 'window of opportunity' for doing it? Ours are about
1' high right now.

Thanks,
George

I have never taken out the shoots on any of my tomato plants. More
shoots, more tomatoes. I also do not take the top off of my
indeterminant tomatoes.
--
Susan N.

There are two schools of thoughts on tomatoes. One that prunes and one
that does not. I do not. Organic Gardening Magazine once did an
article on this subject and compared yield of a tomato plant both
pruned and unpruned. The yield was the SAME. So in the end, I think it
is an issue of esthetics and time you have available. They may look
better pruned, but the season yield will aparently be the same. Enough
said. Regards - Jim