Old 15-06-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Grumpy hedgehog

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ...
Couple of days ago I went to the wood pile in the barn and was confronted
by
a Hedgehog, not unusual in itself as they often hibernate in there, but
this
one did not freeze or roll up but kept advancing snorting as it came. Fair
enough I thought and retreated! Next day I made another trip to get what I
had gone for previously, and met the Hedgehog again, hell of a racket was
going on and I realised it was a mum feeding babies, out in the open, most
unusual to see them so young, normally we don't get to see them until mum
takes them on patrol, and I have never been sure where they nest.
I did not have the nerve to disturb them again with the camera and I think
they have now moved elsewhere as I have now retrieved the box I was after
and there is no more noise. :~)

It's only when you have an encounter like that that you realise why the got
the name Hedge-hog, they sound just like a pig. The first time I heard them
was when two were having a right barny in my garden late at night and I went
to investigate, rather nervously. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden