Old 30-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Emrys Davies

Default Ill-looking Osteospermum

'Olivier',

Make sure that the soil is not compacted by spearing it with a fork and
prising it a little. Also prune it hard and give it a feed. That will
encourage new shoots from its base.

Long term it would be best to take cuttings with some roots attached and
when they are ready to plant out dig up the bed and start again making
sure that the drainage is very good. By the end of the season the bed
will be thriving again.

I presume that you have Osteospurmum jucundum
http://www.ingwersen.co.uk/Osteospermum%20jucundum.htm because I believe
that that is the only variety that is likely to survive our winters.

Good luck,
Emrys Davies.

"Olivier.Lepetit" wrote in message
Hello to all on the board - I wondered maybe you could help us

revitalise a
rather ill osteospermum in our garden... A couple of years ago, the

bush
used to be full of green leaves and lovely flowers, but it has

gradually
thinned (perharps due to the invasion of tall grass, which has now

been
removed). We are left with a rather ill-looking bunch of woody stems

and
about half the amount of leaves we used to have.
Is there a way to rescue the plant, or should we not bother ?