Old 16-06-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default Weird grass (turf that is)

I put in a fescue lawn about 10 years ago, and have noticed an odd
grass growing in my lawn in small patches over the years. I have
noticed the same odd grass in neighbors yards as well. This
particular strain has very thin blades, sort of like dog hair, or
maybe like thin pine needles. It is fairly dark green in color, and
grows very dense at the base. Walking on it is like walking on
zoysia, very dense and carpet like compared to the rest of the lawn.
I don't think it's a zoysia because it doesn't brown out at the first
frost, and maintains it's color like the rest of the lawn does through
the winter. (Connecticut). I use the standard lawn applications such
as pre-emergent and weed killers, which has no effect on it. Other
than my yard and those of the neighbors, I've never seen anything
remotely like it. Any ideas?