Old 16-06-2007, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default attack of the bunnies

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:04:12 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:11:49 -0700, Tater wrote:

We have some rabbits eating some of the plants in our garden. any good
deternts?

we like the bunnies, and prefer them to be here, and eat somethign
besides our garden. it's not like there isnt 1000 other plants out
there for them

Study up on rabbits a bit, and they are not so likeable.

Rabbits *may* be cute, but they are The Enemy, as much as the bug
hoard.

Rabbits harbor tapeworms, fleas, and tularemia, caused by a bacterium,
Francisella tularensis, transmitted to humans by insects or ticks.

Wild rabbits are not your friends, nor your pet's friends, nor your
gardens friends.

And they breed like, well, rabbits.

They destroy young trees, shrubs, infest your yard and garden with
fleas, may give your cat, or dog, tapeworms and fleas when your cat, or
dog, catches and eats them, which can then be transmitted to you.

I have my cat on a regular routine of Droncil to eliminate the damn
parasites he gets from them. I keep a Gamo handy to eliminate the ones
he misses, or get too big for him to handle.

Rabbits are an important link in the food chain, but not in your yard
and garden.

Nature is tough, you gotta be as well.

Charlie

Reminds me of an article I just read about reintroducing large predators
buck into the lower 48. Seems with out them, the ecology gets all wacked
and you end up with population booms and collapses. Maybe we run you out
some wolves Charlie;-)

Gawd...shades of Jack London as a child...scared the bejeebers outta
me, those tales did......yet check out the number of wolf attacks on
humans.......negligible.

Anyhoo.....Please run us out some.

Whitetails are a bad problem here. The MoDNR, in it's great wisdom,
re-intoduced them and managed the re-population several decades ago.
It was a grand success. Your auto insurance rates probably reflect
this. THe damn things are everywhere... lots of them.....Been called
horned urban rats by some. I drove thru KC last year and had to avoid
a dozen on eight lanes of 435. Mixups with vehicles are as common as
nail fungus.

The only predators to control them are us. The number of deer allowed
for harvest increases drastically every year. You can basically
harvest all you want for a small fee for each permit. Yet they still
increase and cause untold vehicular and crop/garden damage.

Everytime we humans get involved in the balance of things, it seems to
go to shit.

"Better Living Through Chemistry", my ass. Extrapolate that to other
things to get my point, folks.

Aside: Ya' never know when someone is gonna come knockin' and throw a
wooden shoe in the works. Maybe tomorrow nite will work for a romantic
interlude.

Drinks are still on, and I am loose online.

Rabbits and deer may be cute, but Walt ruined the reality of it.

Charlie

The works at least is screwed. Walt has ruined reality. And your cup is
half full. All in all, it's not that bad. It's a wonderful life ain't
it? Could be a world of misery worse, like the end of the world or a
half empty bed.

a ta sante,
- Billy