Old 16-06-2007, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Grumpy hedgehog

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ...
Couple of days ago I went to the wood pile in the barn and was

confronted
by
a Hedgehog, not unusual in itself as they often hibernate in there,

but
this
one did not freeze or roll up but kept advancing snorting as it came.

Fair
enough I thought and retreated! Next day I made another trip to get

what
had gone for previously, and met the Hedgehog again, hell of a racket

was
going on and I realised it was a mum feeding babies, out in the open,

most
unusual to see them so young, normally we don't get to see them until

mum
takes them on patrol, and I have never been sure where they nest.
I did not have the nerve to disturb them again with the camera and I

think
they have now moved elsewhere as I have now retrieved the box I was

after
and there is no more noise. :~)

It's only when you have an encounter like that that you realise why the

got
the name Hedge-hog, they sound just like a pig. The first time I heard

them
was when two were having a right barny in my garden late at night and I

went
to investigate, rather nervously. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Met it again last night on our way around the garden at 7pm still sunny,

and
again it saw off the dog and made us feel like trespassers in our own
garden! No sign of the young, but I have several hedgehog "houses" hidden
around the garden so I expect they are not far away.

how have you constructed your hedgehog 'houses'?

rob