Old 16-06-2007, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gonzo gonzo is offline

Default OT- the ccd, bee thing

This spring has been like no other I can recall in my (brief)
gardening career. Been at this site for nigh on nine years, and this
is the first year the bees aren't out in any numbers to speak of.
Zone 5 in Iowa.

Normally the pussywillow tree and berry bushes are literally alive
with the buzz of the bees. This year I've seen only a few solitary
bees.

I'm a little concerned 'cause this is the first year in a long time I
have melon plants that look like maybe they can do something, instead
of the bugs eating them. Have several heirloom varieties, 2 are in
heavy bloom, cucumbers about to blossom, but it really is very quiet
out in the garden. Mosquitoes mostly.