Old 16-06-2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Tomato Cuttings Propogation

In article ,
Homer wrote:

I have had horrible luck with my tomato root stimulator cuttings.

I get less than half of them to survive. I make a 4 inch cutting
from the live plants I want to propogate(Ugly Tomato) and dip the
wetted cut end in the rootone powder and shove it into a 4 inch pot
with potting soil in it. I keep it moist for 2 weeks and look for
growth, but usually there is no growth and no roots when I pull it out
and throw it in the trash.

Any suggestions.

YES!!! :-)

When I worked for my Botany professor in the college greenhouse about 27
years ago, he had me do some tomato pruning and propagating.

Without using any rooting compound, I just stuck the cut pieces into a
bucket of water and left them in the greenhouse.

They in turn were under daily sprayers.

I managed to make 40 plants out of 6.

Try some fertilized water vases like you would propagate ivy.

When they sprout a good set of roots, pot them in very wet soil and go
from there. Be sure to mist them for at least a few days.

Hope this helps?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.