Old 16-06-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default bee question

In article ,
HomerS wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:53:53 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"
wrote:

Where I live, we are surrounded by turkey and hog houses: literally - the
closest "people" house is 1 mile away. The bees have all disappeared around
here too. Now the powers that be at the turkey & hog houses have to put out
fly bait for the flys. The last couple of years the flys have increased
while the bees (of all varieties) have decreased. Could it be that the flys
have become immune to the bait while the bees have become susceptible to it?
Or might it all be stemming from where the county sprays for the 'skeeters'?

just my musings.........any opinions?

Rae

The jury is still out, but the best bet is that all the cell phone
towers are messing with the bees navigation and they just don't make
it back home with food.

Hi Rachael, electromagnetic fields might have something to do with it,
as might poisons in the fly bait but it doesn't explain (to me anyway)
why the bees left in the hive have multiple infections. It's like the
bees have AIDS. Even predators of bees won't attack the unguarded hive.

I've tried to be more proactive this year by planting sweet alyssum to
attract bees. Some people sat though that the bees will come if there
are flowers for them so it may be a waste of time but they are kind of
pretty, so what the heck.

Besides the odor, I've heard that these livestock concentration camps
can foul the ground water with their effluent. Don't want to make you
paranoid but you may want to look into it.

To you and yours,
- Billy