Old 17-06-2007, 12:54 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Ah.. MORE filter woes.. and cleaning out filter questions....

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:35:13 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

I yanked all those damned things out, and now only have the large air
conditioner sheets. Out of curiosity, what procedure does everyone use to
clean out their filters?

In my filter I have the 1" thick, approx. 2X3 feet open cell foam. Only
cleaned 1/year. DS made a rack with pvc and wire fencing. An A frame when
open that collapses flat to store. Since we have a nice power washer, we
use that to clean the foam. 16 sheets takes about 15 minutes.The pre-filter
full of vinyl screen door stuff is just spread out on the lawn and sprayed
with a spray nozzle. The spraying part only takes 5-10 minutes, but doing
the whole cleaning process, especially by my slow old self takes 45 minutes
to an hour, from getting stuff out thru putting it all back. Luckily I only
have to do that 4 times/year. Now the D.pond it has to be done
once/month.... and I've let it go about 2 weeks longer than normal. DS
helps and we'll be cleaning the pre-filter tomorrow on it.

I can only HOPE that since this was the first main use of the new filter,
that future cleanings will be less often, and less crap will be caught up in
the filter. I can't imagine that much work ever 6 days or so!

Yes it will get better... and 6 days isn't bad for the first few times
around. ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us