Old 17-06-2007, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Its still raining

On 17/6/07 09:31, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 16, 5:52 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

My Great Aunt Rose who went mad had hand pumped water to her sink in her
Peterborough bungalow. As a ten year old I thought that was wonderful and
begged my mother for one in our house. I could never understand why she
didn't want to. Still can't ...

I can!!!!

We were talking over breakfast this morning after listening to Lisa
Jardine's thoughts about knowledge and concluded, as we have many times
before, that in an emergency we, the Fishers, could survive longer than most
by using our skills and combined knowledge - as could all our children (I'm
not as sure about all the grandchildren). We haven't a well in the garden
nor a pump but if mains water failed we have a large store in the butts
which we'd be prepared to use. We did the other day when emergency work left
the taps dry for a short time (we didn't know how long it would be).

Do you remember that a good 25 years ago there was a TV series about some
bacteria or virus type thingy that started out eating plastic, destroyed
half the known gadgets in the world as a result and people were thrown
entirely onto their own resources? It demonstrated that the practical
people would come into their own under such circumstances and that those who
knew how to grow food, build shelters etc. would be the most highly valued,
rather than those who are currently valued for pushing expensive bits of
paper around. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk