Old 17-06-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space[_2_] Space[_2_] is offline

Default Copper beech hedge

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 17/6/07 16:57, in article , "Space"
wrote:

It's absolutely true if you keep your hedge to below 8' or so. The
leaves
dry as if they would fall off but they don't.

cheers

whilst I am pondering, (I have a while, will hopefully plant the hedge in
September), I now need to figure out how many I need!!

About 2' apart should be good enough. Take out the tip of the leader next
spring, so as to encourage side shoots to form lower down on the trunk of
each plant. If you can, get bare rooted stock from a local nursery and
these should cost you much less as autumn plants than any container grown
ones. Keep the hedge well-watered if we have a dry spell.
However, I think you will need to get the leylandii roots out because as
they rot down slowly, they will change the composition of your soil and
might harm the beech. Can you remove the roots, do you think?

I'm not too sure. after blathering on about it for a few months I have
finally managed to convince my other half that the ugly trees should go. I
pointed out a copper beech hedge on a neighbouring estate and he was sold to
the idea. The ground is extremely dry near the trees as you would expect
but that is all that I know.

If need be, we will have to do this in stages. Remove leylandi soon, and
leave for a few months so we can treat the ground adequately for the new
hedge.