Old 17-06-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default What kind of tree? ? ?

In article ,
John McGaw wrote:

Ray wrote:
Recently I pulled up (legally) a seedling tree in the back yard of William
Faulkner's home in Oxford Mississippi.

I coaxed it to grow in a pot and now have some questions. Please look at
the
photo at the following site, and give me guidance.

Thanks to all for any help

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree.htm

Dunno. When I saw the picture the first thing I thought was "Virginia
creeper" (I have a lot of it) but that certainly isn't a type of tree.
The leaves' edges don't took right for buckeye or horse chestnut, at
least not any sort I'm familiar with, although the arrangement of
leaflets in a pinwheel looks right.

Virginia creeper was my immediate impression as well. I have it planted
around a deck in my backyard (was there when I moved in and I still
curse the previous owner occasionally) and little seedlings and suckers
appear here and there all over my yard which look identical to the photo.

It is impossible to get rid of and sometimes difficult to control once
established. Ray, if you plant this in your yard, expect it to spread
fairly rapidly and end up being a bit of a headache.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1695/index.html

Dang, look at all the negatives!