Old 17-06-2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default What kind of tree? ? ?

In article w2gdi.3329$015.966@trndny05,
"Ray" wrote:

Thanks Amos --

I don't believe this would be the Virginia creeper. First, I took it off the
side of a stump, about 3' in diameter, which had been cut down. Second, I
don't think the keepers of the Faulkner home would have allowed such a
troublesome plant to exist on the property.

Is it possible that it's an elm?

Virginia creeper pops up wherever it feels like it and is hard not to
find wherever it can grow wild. I would be very surprised not to find
it growing all over Rowan Oak, despite any efforts to eliminate it.

I guess it could be an elm or a chestnut or something else, but you will
probably have to wait and see to be convinced of what you have. If in a
few weeks it begins to stretch into a vine, you've got the creeper.

Here's a few photos I took today for you to compare

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9018183@N02/