Old 18-06-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Kingdon Jim Kingdon is offline

Default What kind of tree? ? ?

Virginia creeper was my immediate impression as well. I have it planted
around a deck in my backyard (was there when I moved in and I still
curse the previous owner occasionally) and little seedlings and suckers
appear here and there all over my yard which look identical to the photo.

Hmm. At first I was fairly negative about Virginia creeper (perhaps
because here in the Washington, DC area it is extensively planted, one
might say overplanted, for things like covering up freeway noise
walls). "Sure it is native, but there are better native plants" kind
of thinking.

It is starting to grow on me. I'm getting fond of the red leaves in
fall. We will see if I regret this new-found tolerance if and when
the plants in my yard start getting a bit bigger. But for now I'm
just glad if they are choking out some of the plants we've already
considered undesirable (poison ivy, wisteria, bindweed, honeysuckle
and some others).