Old 17-06-2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Its still raining

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

" wrote in
message
oups.com...
On Jun 17, 9:31 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

We haven't a well in the garden
nor a pump but if mains water failed we have a large store in the
butts
which we'd be prepared to use. We did the other day when emergency
work
left
the taps dry for a short time (we didn't know how long it would be).

Of course you would need to put your butt water into the elecric
kettle to boil it in case any larvae are in it,

?

What kind of larvae?

If it's anything like my grandparents' rainwater supply; mosquito
larvae, daphnia and wrigglers, a red hair-worm (When we opened the lid,
they all started darting about; of course there must have been many more
invisible to the human eye) All 3 are completely harmless if you
swallow them. I used to trawl for them with granny's seive, to feed them
to my fish.

Janet.

But our butts are securely covered, no animal life can get in them and since
they're dark plant life (e.g. algae) can't live in them either. Mosquito
larvae need open water, I'm never seen daphnia or 'wrigglers' even in our
pond. I wish I did ...

Mary