Old 18-06-2007, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default What kind of tree? ? ?

On Jun 17, 9:01 am, "Ray" wrote:
Recently I pulled up (legally) a seedling tree in the back yard of William
Faulkner's home in Oxford Mississippi.

I coaxed it to grow in a pot and now have some questions. Please look at the
photo at the following site, and give me guidance.

Thanks to all for any help

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree.htm

Ray
The leaf in your photo has a compound, palmate leaf form. Those are
leaflets
( It is not a beech or chestnut; neither of those has compound
leaves.)
Buckeye does have compound, palmate leaves. Buckeye leaves grow
opposite on the stem. When your plant gets another leaf, if it is
opposite
this one, it is probably a buckeye.
But if the leaves alternate up the stem, it is Virginia Creeper.
You said you "took it off the side of a stump" That is how VA Creeper
grows,
holding tightly onto the trunk of a tree. If your plant develops
tendrils with little
sucker like pads, it's definitely a Creeper.
Enjoy it in a pot!
Emilie
NorCal