Old 18-06-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gonzo gonzo is offline

Default Grow pole beans without weeds?

Smother the weeds if your soil is like mine; sometimes "pulling" is
not an option when all that does is break the b**g things off at
ground level. Of course, you _could_ water the area for 30 minutes;
maybe pulling would work then.

Smother the weeds with mulch. Several layers of wet newspaper topped
with your flavor of organic mulch material will deny the weeds
sunlight.

There is a pre-emergent weedicide (?!) made from, of all things,
corn. I have not used it, but the areas under my bird feeders that
receive regular doses of the cracked corn form of corn are completely
bare. Maybe it's the corn, maybe it's the birds scratching about,
maybe it's a combination.. dunno.

BTW, if you are considering a Ruth Stout approach to weed control, be
aware it may take you literally tons of material to smother those
weeds.

Good luck!