Old 18-06-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Copper beech hedge

"Space" wrote in message

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
If you can, get bare rooted stock from a local
nursery and these should cost you much less as autumn plants than any
container grown ones. Keep the hedge well-watered if we have a dry
spell.

Yes... bare root pence per stick instead of pounds per pot. Leaves do as
you've been told and stay on all winter looking very bright in the low,
red sun of winter mornings and evenings. After a season there will be
very little difference between 2 year container or 1 year bare root.

Les

cheers - cheaper option it is then.

your description sounds lovely. can't wait to get this hedge in and for a
bit of height to catch the glow of the sunset.

One other substitute for Beech is Hornbeam which will do the same job and
hold the dead copper leaves even on tall more mature trees.
Very similar to Beech, a smaller more interesting leaf. I believe Hornbeam
grows a bitter faster than it's cousin.

If you want true evergreen, then Yew, Laurel or Bamboo would do the trick.