Old 18-06-2007, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Soot on gardens

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

The story you read sounds as though it were found in a sensational red
top,
professional gardeners still recommend the use of leached soot and
leached ash.

Mary

I can't remember where I read it now. I guess it makes sense if it is
left out in the rain to allow the noxious salts to leach out before it
is used on the garden. The problem only exists with coal ash/soot and
not wood ash/soot of course. Coal can contain all manner of toxic
minerals including arsenic, mercury, cadmium etc

David.

But only in very small quantities. Supposing they were absorbed by
plants - it would be in even smaller quantities and we wouldn't eat all
the plant anyway ...

I always leave wood ash in the open and wouldn't use it until it's been
rained on, it contains very caustic salts which can burn flesh and
plants until they're converted to the hydrated version.

Mary

Do I detect a fellow chemist? Potassium oxide (K2O) produced in the
burning, getting hydrated to become potassium hydroxide (KOH) which upon
exposure to carbon dioxide in the air eventually becomes potassium
carbonate (K2CO3).

David

I am one, I'm also a chemist (reformed). I though Kermists were now called
molecular engineers:-)
I did not realise there were many left---
"Do you have your own shop"----:-((
Are you old enough to remember the smell of Cyanide gas and Arsine.
I still yearn for a bit of illicit mouth pipetting of Sulphuric acid.
Happy Days.

Nitric acid was the best. Dilute sulphuric brought my nylons out in holes
:-(

Mary