Old 18-06-2007, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Soot on gardens

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
I am one, I'm also a chemist (reformed). I though Kermists were now called
molecular engineers:-)
I did not realise there were many left---
"Do you have your own shop"----:-((
Are you old enough to remember the smell of Cyanide gas and Arsine.
I still yearn for a bit of illicit mouth pipetting of Sulphuric acid.
Happy Days.

It's been quite a few years since my chemistry days, I write software
nowadays. I did chemistry as part of my degree and also worked in a couple
of labs. Generally fairly tedious stuff analysing water samples in one and
testing paint in another. Most interesting job was as a temporary lab tech
in a school. Ironically the chemistry teacher was neurotic about chemicals
and invited me in to put some lessons and demonstrations together. I had
great fun teaching and doing demonstrations on reactivity for Group I and II
elements :-). All I can say is thank goodness for safety screens and
goggles! The kids were highly impressed with magnesium ribbon burning in
pure oxygen - they were blind for a while with "welders arc eye" but what
the hey. And as for the large noggin of potassium metal in a pneumatic
trough of water... well lets just say the kids thought it was November the
5th. I don't think the cleaner was too impressed with the big hole in the
floor though.
I showed the kids how welding was done in the olden days (this time
outdoors) using thermite. Chemistry can be a bit dull, so hopefully the
'lively' demonstrations may have inspired their interest in chemistry a bit.
I bet chemistry education is a dull affair nowadays with the health and
safety and risk assessment mentality.

Happy days. I nearly got the sack from the paint factory. It was very
tedious there. No naked flames allowed due to the various solvents around
the place. They were not impressed when I made a large solid fuel rocket
outside based on aluminium dust and sulphur - everyone thought the space
shuttle was taking off - the blast flames were six feet long out of the
rocket! They were even less impressed when it started raining and all the
resulting aluminium sulphide got wet ... (hydrogen sulphide) It stunk out
the entire factory. Pooh :-(

David.