Old 18-06-2007, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ ®óñ©  ©  ²°¹°-°³ is offline

Default Soot on gardens

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:26:36 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Ammonium Tri-Iodide was good fun, too.

We used to drop it around the lab floors and let it dry out in blobs.
Frightened the kecks off a few cleaners sweeping up the next morning.
--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Yes, fond memories of the stuff. When doing "A" level chemistry I made some
and it ended up all over the benches. My chemistry partner came in and
tossed her book onto the bench "BANG" and a small black hole in her book!
The chemistry lecturer came trotting to the back of the lab, and thinking
fast I exclaimed - "Sir - there was a big bang when she put her book down!".
"Yes!" said the lecturer, "Some idiot has made ammonium tri-iodide" and
looked at me suspiciously. Got away with it though.

Many moons ago, when I started in a Path Lab, we used to wash out
glassware etc with detergent, hot water and bottle brushes, followed
by a rinse with ether before draining (to help with the drying, I
suppose)

A shedload of ether got left in the large sink and then the
Pathologist came in and tossed his fag-end into it.
That was a good day, too.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³