Old 18-06-2007, 04:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
nonews nonews is offline

Default What do YOU call this? - 1 attachment

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
news
"nonews" wrote after
"FragileWarrior" wrote ...
Someone told me this is called, "Wallflower". It looks exactly the same
as
Dame's Rocket (Lady's Rocket?) but it is orange and these flowers have
been
blooming their little hearts out since early May.

Check google images for Cheiranthus and Erysimum photos. Both are commonly
called Wallflowers.
Erysimum is also called Blister-Cress. Good flowers but plants seem
short-lived for me.

Old, very old, warrior..

The ones commonly called Wallflowers over here are the Hardy Biennial,
Cheiranthus cheiri, sold bare root in the autumn for planting to flower the
following spring. The problem with them is that they are usually at their
best when you want to dig them up to plant the summer bedding. My photos
were of two of these that I haven't dug up yet because they are so nice and
to my surprise they continue to flower and perfume their patch of the
garden.
However there is also the Perennial Wallflower, Erysimum but that is still
not as well known.

Your plant looks slightly different to both of these so I'm not sure what
that is unless it's another closely related species.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Bob,

Over the years the botanical classification of Wallflowers has been
confusing, at least in the horticultural trade. Both genera have been used
in
the trade and some species have moved back and forth. As a Hort guy I will
blame that on the Bot guys. My Royal Horticultural Society, 1994 Index of
Garden Plants lists all Cheiranthus as being changed to Erysimum. A current
and well regarded US publication lists Erysimum as an annual. All this
leaves me confused.

You and I garden in greatly different climates and perhaps soil types. Here
in Memphis, Tennessee, hardiness zone 7a and heat zone 8, the climate is hot
and humid with insufficient overnight cool down. Soil is acidic clay and
either too dry or too wet. Winters are mild without sufficient cooling for
some plants. Winter soil is either too dry or water-logged. Either soil
condition
is a plant killer. In my travels in your area I have not seen similar
conditions.

In other years I have ordered seed from Thompson & Morgan which they list
as hardy biennials. For me they flowered the first and second year. Some of
the plants did live a third year but that was the exception. I notice that
T&M
only lists Erysimum in their current US catalog. I have never seen bare root
plants offered here or in mail order catalogs. Potted Cheiranthus and
Erysimum
are available locally but your photos show much better flowering than here.

Would you care to exchange climates and soils?

jim