Old 19-06-2007, 02:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
Roberta Bagshaw Roberta Bagshaw is offline

Default Tree to grow in courtyard

Hi everyone

Recently we had to remove a 2 year old Chinese Tallow (Sapium sebiferum)
tree from our courtyard, because its roots were beginning to push up the
brick paving and were heading towards the house.

We had planted it as we had been told it was fairly safe in proximity to
sewer pipes etc., and also because in our warm climate (coastal mid-west of
Western Australia) it is one of the few deciduous trees which gives some
lovely autumn colour. It can get fairly hot in summer here, and the tallow
tree coped with this very well with the heat.

We need to plant a tree, with a non-invasive root system, which will provide
shade on the east side of the house during summer, and which will not grow
too large. Our soil is red clay - high in nutrients - and most things we
plant grow very robustly - when provided with some water during summer.

Any suggestions?

~Roberta~