Old 19-06-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Compost bin Question

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Are there any dangers having a compost bin right next to growing
vegetables?
Some of my potatoes seem to have blight - the foliage is going black /
brown and dying off. Initially I put this down to the wet weather but
I've just noticed the potatoes affected are near the compost bin. In fact
the compost bin seems to be the epicentre of the problem. Can the
bacteria and fungal spores in the compost bin infect nearby veg? The bin
regularly has lots of grass clippings in it and gets extremely hot and
steamy.

Have you at any time put potato tops on the compost after digging them
out?

If the tops become rotten they will sometimes affect other potato plants.

I now put all tops in the dustbin.

Yes! We've had a few earlies lately and I've put the tops into the compost
heap next to the potatoes. Perhaps it would be better if I put the tops in a
different compost bin - a good distance from them.

David.