Old 19-06-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Compost bin Question

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:

| Yes! We've had a few earlies lately and I've put the tops into the compost
| heap next to the potatoes. Perhaps it would be better if I put the tops in a
| different compost bin - a good distance from them.

The problem applies only for a short time after cutting, and it is NOT
TRUE that blight can be spread by composting the haulms. It can be
spread by small tubers regrowing the next year, but those are easy to
pull up before the blight develops.

An alternative is just to put them in a shallow hole, covered by a
thin layer of soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.