Old 19-06-2007, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space[_2_] Space[_2_] is offline

Default Copper beech hedge

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 19/6/07 11:38, in article , "Space"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 19/6/07 10:55, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

None at all to the advice requested but a somewhat churlish reaction,
IMO.
When I first posted here a lot of people thought I was male, possibly
because of the way I spell my name.

I made a comment, not a scathing attack. Why churlish? I think you have
all
gotten a little over excited. But never mind.

It's the peril of the written word, as opposed to those spoken, face to
face. Meaning and intention can be lost!

Very true

Starting over......

I'm Sue in Liverpool. A messy front and back garden and little idea of
where to start. Although when watching these garden makeover programmes
realise mine is no-where near as bad as some of the "before" gardens.

I'm extremely wary of the 'return visit a year later' with regard to those
gardens. There really are no instant gardens in the 'bung plants in and
leave them alone' sense. Every kind of garden - even pots and a bit of
grass - need some attention, watering, tidying, pruning, deadheading etc.

I was making reference to the before - the types with the fallen down shed,
and a small zoo living in a corner of a neglected garden.

We do keep the grass nice although we only clip the egdges sporadically. We
are working on the inside of the house and I am loathe to plant up borders
only to change it all when we know what we are doing re landscaping and can
afford it. but....i also want established plants!!

so far, i have made a small peice of decking for planted pots with bamboos,
a couple of acers, a hosta and some grassees. for the fisrt year ever i
didn't use the blue pellets (i was holding out to buy some copper tape).
The slugs have *totally* destroyed the hosta.

I seem to have a habit of buying plants, leaving them in their pots until
decide on where they go, and then find they are dead!

I'm sure we've all done that, especially when time is pressing in other
directions, too. Perhaps the answer to your garden is 'eating the
elephant'
i.e. a little at a time. Prepare as much as you can do in one day or half
day and plant that up and so on. And if you appear to have good gardening
neighbours, ask their advice if you're not sure and most people just love
give it! One thing that seems to create instant tidiness is a cut lawn
with
clipped edges!

our neighbours are great and really good gardeners. they helped me to
correctly arrange some plants that I have bought for a border in the front
garden. doesn't sound like but they are eager to help. I mentioned that I
was going to buy a new hosta, next morning a recently dug up hosta was
handed over the garden fence.