Old 19-06-2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose Glenna Rose is offline

Default Grow pole beans without weeds?

writes:
richardg expounded:

Thanks for all your input. When I tried to pull the weeds I ended up
pulling out bean plants as well.

Use both hands. Hold the bean stem between two fingers against the
ground and pull the weed seedlings. It's a bit exacting, but the best
way to deal with the existing weeds.

And have the soil moist. That reduces the chances of pulling out anything
on which you don't have a firm grip. I've not had a problem pulling weeds
only when the soil is quite moist.

Depending on the weed, sometimes just breaking it off (if it is quite
young) will also work. The very moist soil works much better.

Glenna