Old 20-06-2007, 03:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
mm[_1_] mm[_1_] is offline

Default MTD Mower: Can't remove rear wheel axel bolts

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 18:11:41 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:

I'm not sure I get what the heck is going on here.

The rear wheels of my walk-behind MTD mower turn on bolts with a 3/4" cap.
The (plastic rim) wheels have become loose, but I cannot tighten nor losen
that bolt. I can see it spinning in the plate as if the threads were
stripped. Neither clockwise nor counter-clockwise do anything.

Both rear wheel bolts behave this way. But the end of the bolt looks like
it was flared out a tiny amount so that it is perhaps some kind of
press-fit ??? My local repair place says that this is very unlikely, but
the mower is not worth bringing it to a repair shop.

I have a mower with one loose wheel for the last two years, but it
doesnt cause any problem. Can you just wait until the wheel falls
off, if it ever does? Then you will only have to put it back one,
instead of also having to remove it.

My mower is about 25 years old, but except for this wheel, was in
like-new condition when I found it next to a dumpster. At an
apartment house for some reason. Maybe they moved from a house and
took it with them, but couldn't sell it?

Ideas?