Old 20-06-2007, 12:30 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Tree to grow in courtyard

"Roberta" wrote in message
Someone suggested we plant a Cassia Fistula (Golden Shower Tree)

I can't seem to find any information about whether this tree has an
invasive root system. Does anyone have experience with growing this in
clay soil in a courtyard situation?

Thanks!

~Roberta~

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

"Roberta Bagshaw" wrote in message
Hi everyone

Recently we had to remove a 2 year old Chinese Tallow (Sapium sebiferum)
tree from our courtyard, because its roots were beginning to push up the
brick paving and were heading towards the house.

We had planted it as we had been told it was fairly safe in proximity to
sewer pipes etc., and also because in our warm climate (coastal mid-west
of Western Australia) it is one of the few deciduous trees which gives
some lovely autumn colour. It can get fairly hot in summer here, and
the tallow tree coped with this very well with the heat.

We need to plant a tree, with a non-invasive root system, which will
provide shade on the east side of the house during summer, and which
will not grow too large. Our soil is red clay - high in nutrients - and
most things we plant grow very robustly - when provided with some water
during summer.

Any suggestions?

~Roberta~

Red soil you mean somewhere near Carnarvon?

Cheers

Richard

Try Tipuana tipu roots grow down not across the surface. If you are near
Perth I have a dozen in pots. Yellow flowers, grows to 6 m, that is if you
are temperate climate is why I asked where abouts you were.

Cheers

Richard