Old 20-06-2007, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default 5 prong fork?

On 19 Jun, 22:58, "Baal" wrote:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...B213GB214&q=5+...

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way"phil green" wrote in message

. uk...

I have a five prong garden fork with triangular tines, which was inherited
from my grandfather. he always said it was better than a spade and more
versatile than an ordinary fork. Anyone know if they are still available to
buy as my friend wants to buy one.
phil

Sounds to me like a potato fork, they came in a very wide range of
local styles depending on the soil in the area they were made, but the
triangular prong did less damage to the potatoes, and the small ones
were less prone to slip between the prongs.
Not to be confused with the multi pronged Potato forks used for moving
potatoes that were clamped.
An interesting site with lots of old tools is http://www.antiquefarmtools.info/index.htm
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries