Old 20-06-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
madgardener madgardener is offline

Default "The time has come", said maddie, "to talk of many things inFaerie Holler............"

Sacha wrote:

I agree. I love Maddie's rambles and feel as if I'm in her garden with her,
while I'm reading them.

do you need a refill on the sweet iced tea, Sacha?? gbseg it's been
a long time, lady.........good to be back-
maddie

Do you know, I've never had iced tea! How do you make it? Not too OT, I
hope as many of us grow Camellias. ;-))

REALLY??? Well let me give you a short and sweet bit. You gotta make
at least a half gallon of tea. (64 ounces) with about an ounce of black
and orange peko tea in a bag. (I've done this with raspberry tea as
well)as opposed to 80 ounces.......the tea bags that we get in the US
are made specifically for iced tea, so you might need to double up. I
tend to make it very strong anyway. You can't read through my iced tea!
LOL Soooooo, boil the kettle and get it rolling. I pour my boiled
water into a glass pickle jar that can take the heat to brew and steep.
I make my sweet iced tea by the gallon, so I boil just over
three British pints and pour it into the glass jar, then put the tea
bags into it. I have restaurant sized bags that have about an ounce of
tea in it. When I don't have the restaurant sized bags (which are a
luxury for me) I use "Family" sized bags, which equates to two or three
regular sized tea bags I suppose..... I discovered that they explode
when the boiling water is poured over them. Sooooo, I steep the bags
until there's not a drip of tea left, then squeeze the bag out and toss
into my compost can on the counter. I let it steep until it's cold.
Then for a gallon of tea, I put one cup of sugar to sweeten it. Not too
sweet, just right. I tend to top off the gallon after I dissolve the
sugar with cold water and pour over ice and a large wedge of lemon when
I have it.....and there you go! (how are your Camelia's anyway? What
color are they?? LOL
maddie