Old 20-06-2007, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Rose question

"adder1969" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 20, 1:42 pm, "
wrote:
I have a new Phyllis Bide rose which is blooming nicely in its first
year. However, about halfway up the plant it has thrown out a long
soft shoot with reddish brown leaves, which looks more vigorous than
the rest of the plant. Is this normal growth or should I cut it?
Thanks for any advice

Normal and whether you want to cut it is up to you guess. Some I
leave and some I cut depending where they are.

I agree, if you want the new shoot it can pay to support it as they are
quite brittle to start with.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk